Increases the number of full-time officer positions from 16 to 18
BENSON – At its December meeting, the Benson Board of Trustees unanimously approved four measures that will help facilitate the expansion of the Benson Police Department – steps taken to prepare for growth in an already growing field .
Benson Police Chief Greg Percy spoke to commissioners on Tuesday evening to discuss the needs of his department. This led the Council to approve its entire list of requested items.
One of those items – a sign-up bonus for new agents – would be a first for any department in Johnston County, Chief Percy said.
The full list of approved font extension items includes:
• The starting salary for officers will be $ 41,430, as of January 1, 2022.
• Registration bonus of $ 2,500 for new officers.
• Two additional patrol officer positions were approved.
• Full-time sworn officers from 16 to 18.
“With the growth and development taking place at Benson, we had to deal with staffing. My management team and I have developed an ambitious plan to increase salaries and add the necessary positions, ”explained Chief Percy. “As a ministry, we are fortunate to have progressive and forward-thinking leadership and elected officials for our city, and I very much appreciate their guidance, endorsement and support throughout this process. “
“We believe that increasing our base salary makes us competitive with any agency in Johnston County and surrounding areas, and the salary adjustments for other staff show our commitment to continue. to develop the exceptional team that we already have in place, “he added.
Additional benefits of the Benson policy include:
• Take-out patrol vehicle, within 30 miles
• Career progression plan with salary increases
• Paid gym membership
• Wellness program with financial incentives
• Medical Insurance Paid Through North Carolina State Health Plan, Dental, Ophthalmic, and Paid Life Insurance
• 5% 401 (k) contributions
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Paid vacation program
• Longevity bonus program
• Secondary employment opportunities
• General and advanced training opportunities
• Participation in community awareness activities