Fire at a financial company in Tiruvannamalai

No casualties reported; residents of the neighborhood complained of shortness of breath from the heavy smoke

No casualties reported; residents of the neighborhood complained of shortness of breath from the heavy smoke

A fire broke out on the first floor of the Mahindra Home Finance office in Tiruvannamalai on Saturday. There were no casualties. Firefighters battled for more than an hour to extinguish the blaze, which police say may have been caused by an electrical short. “The UPS booster in a separate room from the office exploded causing part of the building to burn,” said D. Kamal Basha, Station Fire Officer (SFO), Tiruvannamalai Out Post (OP). At around 9:15 a.m. Saturday, a few office staff saw smoke billowing from the building’s first-floor emergency room, located near the market, and alerted local firefighters, who dispatched firefighters to the square. With the fire confined to the first floor of the building, which also has a public sector bank on the ground floor, a fire tender was deployed from Tiruvannamalai urban area. The fire was prevented from spreading to nearby buildings.

Police said that at the time of the accident, no one was in the office. The registers and other office objects have been emptied. Locals have complained of shortness of breath from the heavy smoke. One case was registered by Tiruvannamalai city police.