Kyle Rittenhouse launches fund to fund lawsuits targeting media ‘lies’

Kyle Rittenhouse, who was acquitted last year of charges related to the shooting of three people in Kenosha in August 2020, has launched a new donation fund which he says will help sue certain media outlets and individuals to hold them responsible for their “lies”. “

Donations to Rittenhouse’s Media Accountability Project will help fund potential lawsuits, he told Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Monday night. Rittenhouse said his team is currently reviewing “a number” of politicians, athletes and celebrities to file lawsuits against, including View co-host Whoopi Goldberg.

“[Goldberg] called me a “murderer” after being acquitted by a jury of my peers. She kept saying that,” Rittenhouse said while appearing on Carlson’s show.

The acquittal of Rittenhouse, now 19, sparked both outrage and support across the country. Rittenhouse fatally shot two people, Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum, and injured Gaige Grosskreutz after traveling to Kenosha aged 17 during the civil unrest that erupted after the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a black man.

Rittenhouse was found not guilty in November of the five first-degree felony counts he had been charged with, including willful and reckless homicide.

A start the video posted to Rittenhouse’s Twitter page on Monday evening begins with a quote from Malcolm X: “The media is the most powerful entity on earth. It has the power to make the innocent guilty and the guilty innocent, and that is power.”

The video then shows a series of clips of articles, videos and other comments about Rittenhouse, some of which linked his actions and acquittal to racism and white supremacy. It ends with a short excerpt from former President Donald Trump who seems to be talking about journalists and calling them “the enemy of the people”.

Rittenhouse told Carlson that the inspiration for launching his fund was to help hold other organizations and people “accountable for what they did to me because I don’t want to see anyone have to go through what I lived”.

Kyle Rittenhouse, who was acquitted last year of charges related to the shooting of three people in Kenosha in August 2020, has launched a new donation fund which he says will help sue certain media outlets and individuals to hold them responsible for their “lies”. Rittenhouse is seen above on the set of “Candace” on January 24, 2022 in Nashville, Tennessee.
Jason Davis/Getty Images

The donation fund page says the Rittenhouse lawsuit “has exposed deep corruption in our media for all to see” and that it “will not leave it unaddressed”.

“Help hold our media’s worst offenders accountable in court for their malicious and defamatory lies,” the page read.

Rittenhouse didn’t name any specific media organization on Twitter or when speaking to Carlson, but did mention Cenk Uygur, commentator and founder of The Young Turks, who “keeps calling me a ‘murderer’.”

Although still active on Twitter, Rittenhouse has also would have joined Truth Social, Trump’s recently launched social media platform.

Newsweek has reached out to ABC and The Young Turks for comment.