More than 6 kg of drugs seized during a raid in the capital

A Chinese man was arrested for possession of more than 6 kg of drugs in Borey Sen Sok gated community, Tuol Sangke II township, Russey Keo district. POLICE

Police from the anti-drug department sent a Chinese man to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on January 16, five days after he was arrested in the gated community of Borey Sen Sok in Tuol Sangke II commune of Russey Keo district for possession of more than 6 kg of drugs.

The deputy director of the anti-drug department, In Song, said on January 16 that the suspect was a 63-year-old Chinese national. He had stayed in a house rented from Borey Sen Sok.

“We sent this case to the municipal court this morning, together with more than 6 kg of drug evidence,” he said.

He added that prior to the raid, the police had carried out an investigation and, after ensuring that criminal activity was taking place, obtained authorization to carry out the operation from the Deputy Chief of National Police in charge of the fight against drugs, Mak Chito, and the director of the anti-drug department, Lek. Vannak, in coordination with Assistant District Attorney Ty Monin.

Song said the operation took place just after 7 p.m. on January 11 at the rented house. The police confiscated ecstasy (MDMA) and ketamine, with a total weight of 6.50 kg.

Municipal court spokesman Plang Sophal could not be reached for comment on January 16.

Song told the Post that last year police cracked down on 6,242 drug cases and arrested 13,765 people, including 802 women. The arrests concerned 362 foreigners of 13 different nationalities, including 45 women. Police also confiscated a total of more than four tons of drugs and nearly 100 firearms.

He added that the illegal drugs seized amounted to 4,435 tons. It included 228.51 grams of marijuana; 52,214 dried cannabis plants; and 1,163 kg of unidentified chemicals.

Police also seized 124 cars and 1,647 motorcycles; 5,853 cell phones; 336 sets of scales; 41 pistols and 42 rifles; and some money. Nine bank accounts had their funds frozen and asset forfeiture proceedings were initiated against them in court.