Oscar Rosales refused bail for capital murder

Rosales was arrested Wednesday in Ciudad Acuña, Mexico, across the border from Del Rio, Texas.

HOUSTON — The man charged with capital murder in connection with the ambush of Corporal Charles Galloway of Harris County Constable’s Office 5 will remain in jail for the time being.

A judge ruled that Rosales would be held without bond. He had also faced a judge in probable cause court late Wednesday night.

During that hearing, his attorney asked for $100,000 bond, but the judge ordered him held without bond in connection with Galloway’s murder.

“Listening to the two attorneys’ arguments regarding bail, I am inclined to establish no bail in this case,” the judge said.

“All the people like Oscar Rosales, who have been violent, who are violent on multiple occasions, should be kept in jail pending trial,” Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg said.

Rosales’ next hearing will be on February 23.

Two other men arrested

After Friday’s hearing, Sean Teare, with the Harris County District Attorney’s Officeconfirmed that a total of four people have been charged in connection with the Rosales case.

Rosales’ wife and brother had previously been charged with tampering with physical evidence. However, Teare said two other men have also been charged in the case.

Tear said the two men are charged with obstructing arrest after they were accused of pawning jewelry to give money to Rosales so he could travel to Mexico. The men are also accused of lying to investigators about communicating with Rosales while law enforcement was looking for him.

Oscar Rosales on the run since 1996

On Thursday, we learned new details about Rosales and his criminal history during a press conference with all law enforcement involved in his Wednesday arrest in Mexico.

Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg called Rosales a “professional felon” who had changed identities several times since 1996 after a warrant was issued for aggravated assault in Harris County. She said Rosales was also wanted for murder in El Salvador, one of the countries he has lived in over the years.

Ogg said Rosales had changed her name so many times that they didn’t yet know her real name or immigration status.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner called Rosales’ actions “pure meanness, meanness.”

“How can a person do this to another human being? said the chief.

Finner said he received advice from the public, and investigators worked tirelessly to find him and put him in jail.

“We take care of our citizens and we take care of our family,” Finner said.

“I’ve been in law enforcement for 40 years in different capacities, but I’ve never seen such a collaborative effort,” said U.S. Marshal T. Michael O’Connor.

“Let’s not forget what happened. We are here in very tragic circumstances, and I hope and pray that this is somewhat the end, at least at this stage, for the family. God bless the family.

Harris County Pct. 5 Constable Ted Heap expressed his gratitude on behalf of Galloway’s family to the federal, state and local agencies who helped “capture this violent criminal to be taken off the streets.”

“They realize it was a team effort to be able to bring their brother and father’s killer to justice,” Heap said.

Arrest of Oscar Rosales

Val Verde County Sheriff Joe Frank Martinez said Rosales was arrested by Mexican authorities in cooperation with the US Marshal’s Service and the Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force.

“It was a good coordinated effort from all agencies involved to arrest this individual,” Val Verde County Sheriff Joe Frank Martinez said.

Hours after his arrest, HPD investigators arrived in Del Rio to arrest Rosales and bring him back to Houston.

Upon arrival in Houston, Rosales was handcuffed by Galloway, Jeff McShan with Precinct 5 confirmed to KHOU 11.

The “ruthless” murder of Corporal Charles Galloway

The Houston Police Department is investigating what happened. According to court documents, HPD investigators were allowed to view body camera and dash cam footage of the fatal shooting.

Investigators said just after midnight on January 23, Galloway turned on its hazard lights to stop a white Toyota Avalon, which was later determined to have been driven by Rosales.

According to court documents, the Avalon continued at a slow pace before coming to a stop near the 9100 block of Beechnut Street. As Galloway informed the dispatcher of the stop, the driver got out of the car with a gun and pointed it at him.

Dashcam footage shows the driver firing multiple shots at Galloway, according to court documents. After the shooting, according to court documents, the driver got back into the car and drove off.

Evidence against Oscar Rosales

HPD and Houston Fire Department units responded to the scene, where they found Galloway in his patrol car with multiple gunshot wounds. Galloway was pronounced dead at the scene around 5 a.m. His official cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the left side of his face, according to court documents.

According to court documents, detectives searched the Avalon’s license plates and found the vehicle was registered to Reina Azucena Pereira Marquez, with an address listed in the 5500 block of Calm Court, Houston.

When investigators arrived at Reina Marquez’s residence, they contacted her and she claimed ownership of the car.

According to court documents, Reina Marquez told investigators that her common-law husband of 17 years, Oscar Rosales, picked up the car around midnight and left his white Dodge Ram truck in the driveway.

Rosales told Reina Marquez he was going hunting or shooting with friends, according to court documents. Reina Marquez told investigators she saw Rosales pull two long guns out of a safe before she left.

Reina Marquez was able to identify her vehicle and Rosales as the shooter in photos provided by investigators, according to court records.

Alleged accomplices charged

According to court documents, investigators found the Avalon was parked in an apartment complex in the 4000 block of South Highway 6.

Investigators said they discovered a unit at the compound was registered in the name of Reina Marquez.

Authorities arrived at the resort around 3:30 p.m. on January 23 and saw a man, later identified as Henri Mauricio Pereira Marquez (the brother of Reina Azucena Pereira Marquez), wiping the door handles of the car, according to court documents.

Reina Marquez said she met her brother at the apartment and the cleaning supplies used to clean the car were inside the unit, according to court documents.

Reina Marquez and Henri Marquez have been charged with tampering with evidence in connection with the case. Court records show they were arrested on Sunday.

KHOU 11 on social networks: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube