Timothy Huff guilty of capital murder in death of Fort Worth officer – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Timothy Huff, one of two people charged in the death of Fort Worth officer Garrett Hull, was convicted of capital murder Monday morning.

Hull was killed in a shooting in 2018 while investigating a series of robberies.

A Tarrant County jury returned a unanimous verdict against Huff. Convicted of murder, Huff faces life in prison or death. The Tarrant County prosecutor said he was seeking the death penalty in the case.

The punishment phase of the trial resumed on Monday afternoon but only heard from a few witnesses before the jury was sent home for the day. The penalty phase will resume at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

The murder trial was scheduled to start on May 31, but was delayed after Huff ingested a razor blade. Testimony began a week later but was delayed again last week after a lawyer handling the case fell ill.

Investigators suspected Huff, Dacion Steptoe and Samuel Mayfield were responsible for 17 robberies in the area and that they targeted Latino bars in and around Fort Worth, believing that Latino victims would be less likely to report a robbery to authorities.

Joel Fitzgerald, who was then Fort Worth police chief, said a group of undercover and uniformed officers identified the three men as suspects and were watching them as they entered the Los Vaqueros. Sports Bar on September 14, 2018.

Fitzgerald then added that officers were worried about endangering bystanders and were waiting for the three men to leave the bar before confronting them. When the men were outside and around the corner, the police tried to arrest them and that’s when the shooting began.

Hull was shot in the head during the trade. Instead of waiting for an ambulance, officers decided to transport Hull to hospital in a police cruiser.

Dacion Steptoe, the man believed to have fired the shot that killed Hull, was killed in the shootout with police. In the days following the shooting, NBC 5 learned that Steptoe had been released from prison earlier and had not been released when he was arrested twice earlier in the year – even though he was in paroled, according to Tarrant County Court records.

Mayfield is also charged with capital murder but has not yet been tried.