Wazito takes down the galacticos police to delay the losing streak

NAIROBI, Kenya, February 26 – Wazito FC rebounded a two-game losing streak to beat Kenya Police FC 3-2 in an FKF Premier League match held at Nyayo National Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

In other results, Nzoia Sugar stunned Kariobangi Sharks 1-0, Ulinzi stars edged KCB FC 1-0 in Nakuru as Nairobi City Stars beat Mathare United 3-0 to dislodge Tusker in the second square.

Goals from Elly Asieche, John Kuol and Amos Ekhalie in the first half were enough for the team coached by Fred Ambani. The goals for Police FC were scored by Clifton Miheso from the penalty spot in the first half and Charles Ouma.

At halftime, Wazito held a 3-1 advantage, but a big thank you for the scoreline was Juma’s goalkeeper howlers.

The keeper fired a free-kick straight to Kuol’s face which netted the second, while he conceded the third on the stroke of half-time after leaving Amos Ekhalie’s seemingly weak long-range effort flow between his legs.

In an attacking display from both sides, Police had the first sniff on goal after two minutes when Clifton Miheso stood behind a free-kick, curling it past the wall but goalkeeper Ssekagya pushed it behind to a corner.

On the other side three minutes later, Curtis Wekesa stormed down the left after a quick change of play from defense to attack. However, his last shot on goal hit the side net.

But, Wazito took the lead in the 10th minute when Asieche hit a low shot into the bottom left corner after being picked unmarked by a cut from Levin Odhiambo from the left.

Asieche nearly made two on a similar move, this time Wekesa doing the most to cut the ball down from the left, but the captain’s side shot this time went wide.

Advertising. Scroll to continue reading.

Police however found a way back into the game after 25 minutes from the penalty spot after Rooney Onyango handled the ball inside the box as he tried to cut in Miheso’s cross.

The winger stepped up and converted for the leveler.

With seemingly so much not working for them, the police made changes, with Duke Abuya being brought in for Lesley Otieno.

Just when they thought they would have the lead on the game, Wazito added a second when the keeper knocked down a raspy free-kick from Onyango and Kuol was quickest on the stage to head out.

At half-time, Enforcement were trailing 3-1 thanks to another Juma goalkeeper mess. The shot stopper seemed to have got Ekhalie’s long ranger back, but he somehow let the ball spill out between his legs.

Immediately at the break, Job Ochieng was sent to warm up. At the start of the second half, the change came with the arrival of the former Mathare player.

The police were more offensive in the second period and they sniffed the goal in the 56thand minute when Duncan Otieno was played into the box by Francis Kahata, but his shot was deflected.

They eventually cut the game to a one-goal deficit in 66and minute when lanky midfielder Ouma scored from a tight angle after a fine exchange of passes with Otieno from the right.

The goal inspired a fight from the police as they believed the game was within reach. They closed with a quarter of an hour remaining in a quick counter, but Elvis Rupia saw his shot stopped by Bashir Ssekagya.

From the corner, substitute Oliver Mang’eni saw his close-range header fly over the bar.

They had a late chance with a free-kick from a tight angle, but Miheso’s attempt to go for goal instead of across it in the box turned out to be a bad decision as the ball came out of the side netting.

Advertising. Scroll to continue reading.